Everybody's Talkin' ... In Doctor Who Magazine 398!Doctor Who Magazine is out now, priced £3.99.
Davros himself, actor Julian Bleach, talks exclusively about taking on the role of the Daleks’ creator in the latest Doctor Who Magazine...
Is the fact that other actors have played the part in the past a help or a hindrance? “That can make it harder to approach it afresh,” considers Julian, “but it’s more of a problem if you’re trying to find a new interpretation of the character. What I was trying to do with Davros was to recreate – and match as closely as possible – a previously established character.” So what’s Julian’s take on Davros? Twisted megalomaniac? Mad scientist? Misguided genius? “All of those things, but I’d say the character was very probably originally inspired by Hitler, and I found that to be quite a useful reference point, particularly in some of his more dogmatic speeches!”
It’s not just Davros who’s quizzed this issue – DWM has been keeping up with the Joneses (Martha, Francine, Harriet and Ianto), the Smiths (Mickey, Sarah Jane, Luke and Mr Smith, and even the Doctor at one point) and a host of Tylers and Nobles, as well as the odd Mott, Cooper and Harkness. This, then, is one of DWM’s most ambitious projects ever: in issue 398, DWM talks to the entire regular and returning cast of The Stolen Earth and Journey’s End! Find out which former companion had to have an injection to stop her vomiting. Discover whose bottom to hold onto in a crisis, and whose gave Catherine Tate a shock. Learn which actress is happy to “mug away in the background.” And establish who would win in a Dalek Crucible-based wind-breaking competition!
DWM 398 features exclusive interviews with: David Tennant, Catherine Tate, Freema Agyeman, Billie Piper, John Barrowman, Gareth David-Lloyd, Eve Myles, Penelope Wilton, Jacqueline King, Bernard Cribbins, Noel Clarke, Camille Coduri, Adjoa Andoh, Elisabeth Sladen, Thomas Knight, John Leeson, Alexander Armstrong, Nicholas Briggs, Julian Bleach, David Tennant (again!) & Richard Dawkins.
• The Doctor and Donna’s battle with the Sycorax reaches its explosive climax in the final part of the latest full colour comic strip The Widow’s Curse.
• Showrunner Russell T Davies reveals exclusively what won’t be in Series Five.
• The chance to vote for your favourites in DWM’s annual Season Survey
• The latest news on the forthcoming Doctor Who Specials and Series Two of The Sarah Jane Adventures.
• And... all the latest news, exclusive photos, reviews, previews, competitions… and a choice of four fantastic covers to collect!